Question: I'm suffering from arm/shoulder pain, feels like a possible rotator cuff injury for several years. Are there exercises to heal this? It’s painful during push-ups even on my knees and shoulder pops during certain moves.
There are two possible reasons for your shoulder clicking: either arthritis or due to overuse injuries such as tendinitis or bursitis. Yes, there are exercises to heal the shoulders but it would be better if you are properly diagnosed by a medical professional such as a physiotherapist so he/she can assess and diagnose you correctly.
For the meantime, here are safe exercises and tips you can do:
- Gentle range of motion exercises of the shoulders towards flexion, extension, abduction, internal and external rotation in a pain-free range to prevent aggravating your symptoms
- Muscle setting exercises of the muscles around the shoulder. Start with isometric contractions first.
- Gentle passive stretching of the shoulder muscles towards all direction, holding each for 20-30 seconds and repeat 1-2 times each. Kindly note again that there should be no pain felt, just discomfort.
- If you plan on doing the push-ups but still find it painful, try doing it as a plank with knees on the floor first before attempting to do the push-ups again. This way, you can determine if your shoulder is ready for it or not.
- Modify activities or exercises that trigger your pain.
Also watch this:
Article is closed for comments.